Sunday, June 10, 2012

The key.

Thought I'd give an update on how the week went. The hubby was off this week, which would usually have meant trips to eat out, junk food, etc.  In other words, things would have been a lot more lax than normal, but one thing that I am learning is that in order for this weight loss to really stick and have it become a manageable lifestyle, there has to be BALANCE.  It's impossible to stick on a completely healthy eating plan 24/7 FOREVER. (at least for me it is)...

In starting this process and giving myself 2 years to get to my goal, I was giving myself permission to eat off plan for a meal and not breakdown because of my possible perception of completely thwarting my efforts.  Balance is key.  Balance is something, however, that is SOOOOO contrary to the messages that we are fed via the media about everything, be it food, alcohol, sex, possessions, etc.  On one hand, we are given the "perfect" body images to aspire to, but on the other, there is little to no element of self-control honored or respected by our culture.  Give me what I want, when I want it.  I "deserve" it.  No one can attain a weight loss goal if constantly listening to the messages screamed around them.  Watch TV for five minutes and you'll be bombarded with fast food and candy commercials, only interrupted by commercials for lingerie with women who look nothing like most of the women I encounter in real life.  This system is designed to keep us from succeeding.  Give in to the cravings (why deny yourself???) BUT AFTER YOU DO.... FEEL HORRIBLE about yourself.  You're worthless for giving in.  How could you???  Of course this leads to more eating, more self-loathing, more eating.....

So the key?  Balance.  Something Americans no little about.  Delayed gratification.  Something we know even less about.

Yes, we ate out this week.  Twice to be exact. (which is a lot less than we have in previous "vacation" weeks).  The first time, we took the kids to a popular chain restaurant.  We did get an appetizer (spinach dip) and guess what.  I had some.  But instead of ordering whatever I wanted for my meal (probably would have been a burger), I had grilled chicken (minus the rice that it came with) and added extra broccoli. 

Second meal "out" was actually an order in Sushi dinner.  This was my one "splurge" meal of the week.  It was something that I looked forward to all week.  Having it in mind at the beginning of the week gave me reason to be cautious in what I was eating because I knew I'd be having a treat later in the week.  All in all, I had a loss of about 1lb this week whereas in previous vacation weeks, I've gained up to 5lbs.

Next thing to work on:  Get my butt back on my treadmill.....

3 comments:

  1. Great work, Jenica! You have the right attitude-so proud of you. Keep it up! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your posts. You inspire me. WAY TO GO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenica! Your blog is off to a great start!!! I find your words so inspiring. My weight has yoyo'ed over the past year because of various issues. Ultimately, I allowed myself to focus on others things other than my own health. Now, I am committed to losing 25 lbs by my birthday in October. "A healthier me I will be"! Thanks for sharing your journey! You can't imagine the positive impact you have and will have on others. Love and miss you my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete